*disclaimer*

What do I envy? I envy honesty, opinionated personalities and no-holding-back-bluntless. I dis-envy those who lack a personality of their own, and need to judge others in order to feel better about themselves.
Asshole type tendancies, along with rude comments and sarcasm amuse me, and I believe my recent phenomenon of making fun of my own lifes downfalls and meaningless events in an exaggerated way can be somewhat amusing to persons other than myself.This is a blog of my own thoughts and unconventional opinions. I encourage you to call me out an anything I write here, however, the blog is not made for you to belittle me, so watch your step. Read at your own risk. -B!



Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Maybe "Outsiders" can be Correct.

A few weeks ago, while hanging out with a well-respected friend, (we'll call him TheVas)... and gossiping (about my life ect, what else?) I was analyzed and told this:
"The reason you're not looking for a relationship, is that you already have one".

Well I tell you, I flipped out on that line like no other. I got defensive as fuk, telling TheVas that he might as well meet the racecar driver, because apparently, though I'm single, they clearly think I'm not alone and have dependancy issues.
The racecar driver had told me months earlier that the roomie and I are eachothers "safety nets" and we should move apart to grow as people. I resented that comment also, thinking there was no problem with having a good friend around, especially if it's the only person you could count on.

A few minutes ago, I was reviewing the events of the past few days, and smiled to myself when I realized how from the "outsiders" perspective, that quote can actually be deemed true.
I go out with the roomie: one of us will call ahead to make reservations or come up with a game plan. Standard "date night", we'll go out for wings and a movie, or a couple of cocktails and a walk. I'm not saying we're strolling down the street, arms locked or anything, though that has been known to happen (on those days where it's super slippery out, or we're stumbling uncontrollably). Whenever we're in a bar, I'll either order for her, or she for I and we hardly ever get seperate cheques. And if we go to the grocery store, the scenario only gets funnier. One of us grabs a basket, shopping for meals to eat together, and then arguing about who's going to carry the groceries while we move on to the next store.

All those "little" things that people look for in relationships... we got those bases covered!
Holy shit, TheVas may have been right. Though, since I've been referring to us as "common law" for a while now, I wasn't exactly fighting those assumptions too much.

And although I don't plan to change much in my happy little friendship bubble, I guess one could say, that the first step (a step back, were you look at yourself as an outsider) is to acknowledge what is going on.

But seriously, if we're doing all these "couple-like" things for each other, it'll just come more natually to do so for others, when we meet boys that aren't so intimidated by a strong friendship. No?

No comments:

Post a Comment