*disclaimer*

What do I envy? I envy honesty, opinionated personalities and no-holding-back-bluntless. I dis-envy those who lack a personality of their own, and need to judge others in order to feel better about themselves.
Asshole type tendancies, along with rude comments and sarcasm amuse me, and I believe my recent phenomenon of making fun of my own lifes downfalls and meaningless events in an exaggerated way can be somewhat amusing to persons other than myself.This is a blog of my own thoughts and unconventional opinions. I encourage you to call me out an anything I write here, however, the blog is not made for you to belittle me, so watch your step. Read at your own risk. -B!



Saturday, October 10, 2009

Athens Part 2

Okay, so when I planned to go to Greece, I didn't realize it was this Greek. Since my fantabulous roommate Sophie doesn't speak the language that I've heard, I almost thought that 50% of people in Greece would be english speaking. The touristy areas, much like in the rest of the world, communicate fine... but wandering through the streets of Athens today, I've decided that I could never live in a country where English isn't their primary language. I want to know what people are yelling about, if they're talking about me, and most importantly, to be able to find my way around, or to be able to ask someone if I can't.

This morning I got the hostel to organize an english speaking tour guide to show me around. I paid him $20 and he showed me all the sites with brief history lesson... a lot of walking, but a good time, and I met some more Canadians and Americans along the way. Many pictures of me and old stuff, and pictures of old stuff being fixed.

Next all I wanted to do was buy a shotglass, and find an internet cafe with a printer before I got back to the hostel. Well 2 hours of wandering later, i realized that not even the young people like to respond to english all the time. Everything is in Greek, therefore making it super hard to find stuff, even with a map, and I can't even pronounce the street names. I keep walking up to people saying "internet" and making the typing motion. But when I got super frustrated (as Dane Cook says, I was ready to "punch a baby") I did the only thing I could... I went to McD's and got a McFlurry... I asked for m&m, the chick offered me smarties, I agreed, got m&m anyway... with chocolate fudge (odd)... and then I asked her for an internet cafe and she suggested an espresso. I asked a billion people, including hotels, hostels and policemen... and am now back at my hostel with no clue on where to go, and needing to print out my boarding pass. You'd think it wasn't that hard a thing to find, but haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment